Thursday, August 21, 2008

Back to work

It was quite rude that the school district here was so insistant on starting another school year. I thnk we should have just been satisfied with the last one and called it good. But No! I had to go back to work. Besides switching from a 4 block schedule to an 8 period day, there is construction everywhere at Westside. It really is a mess!!! I currently have 166 students. It won't take long to grade papers this year! I am teaching an SAT Prep class, and Math Tech 2 class (another name for Algebra for Dummies) and 4 Algebra 2 classes. I had to change classrooms this year too. So I really have some adjustment issues going on.

We were all very excited about the hurricane....not the destruction part...we were just excited about the possibility of getting some rain out of it. But now it doesn't even look like that is going to happen. You Florida people are hogging all the rain now.



I thought it would be fitting to post the pictures that I took this past Sunday of one area of Lake Hartwell. These pictures were taken on the north side of town where the "cheap" house are. Needless to say, having lakefront property just doesn't have that same ring to it anymore. The first two pictures are of one of the public boat ramps. Notice the sign "Ramp Closed"...our tax dollars at work...like you could launch a boat there now anyway!! If this keeps up they will have to hire someone to mow the lake. Last I heard, we were 30 inches behind in rainfall (not that we want that in a 24 hour period of time) and the lake is down about 28 feet.

2 comments:

Ezzyelf said...

i think they need to do that now

Cathryn said...

I was wondering if you would get any rain out of it.. I saw the radar and projected path last night and had high hopes for you.. but they were kind of dashed this morning when I saw that Fay was headed due west instead of the west north west path they predicted yesterday. I am sure Jim's parents would be happy to share some of that water with you. I think they will be lucky to find their back deck before this is all over. I'm sorry you had to go back to work. I sympathize with you! Even when you like your job, somedays it just really sucks to get up and get there. Hang in there!... and buy another Lotto ticket. LOL You never know, right?!